Note from Capital Thinking
Given that we expect all legislative business will wrap-up in Washington this week, this will likely be our last Capital Thinking Blog until Congress returns in November following the Election.
Senate Legislative Activity
The Senate will convene on Monday, September 26, at 3:00pm. Following any Leader remarks, the Senate will resume consideration of H.R.5325, the legislative vehicle for the short-term continuing resolution (CR). There will be no roll call votes on Monday.
The filing deadline for 1st degree amendments to the substitute and underlying bill is 4:00pm today; the 2nd degree amendment filing deadline is set for 12:00pm on Tuesday, September 27.
Senator Mitch McConnell (R-KY) has already offered substitute amendment #5082 (text of short-term CR), filled the amendment tree, and filed cloture on the substitute and the underlying bill. The cloture vote on the substitute amendment will be on Tuesday, September 27, at 2:15pm. Under the rules, if cloture is invoked there would then be up to 30 hours of debate followed by a vote on the amendment; if cloture is not invoked, the cloture motion on the underlying bill would immediately ripen.
House Legislative Activity
On Monday, September 26, the House will meet at 12:00pm for morning hour and at 2:00pm for legislative business, with votes postponed until 6:30pm. The following legislation will be considered under suspense on of the rules:
- H.R. 1877 – Mental Health First Aid Act of 2016, as amended;
- H.R. 3537 – Dangerous Synthetic Drug Control Act of 2016;
- H.R. 3779 – To restrict the inclusion of social security account numbers on documents sent by mail by the Federal Government, and for other purposes;
- H.R. 5883 – Clarification of Treatment of Electronic Sales of Livestock Act of 2016, as amended;
- H.R. 845 – National Forest Trails Stewardship Act, as amended;
- H.R. 5943 – Transit Security Grant Program Flexibility Act, as amended;
- H.R. 5460 – First Responder Access to Innovative Technologies Act, as amended;
- H.R. 5459 – Cyber Preparedness Act of 2016, as amended;
- H.R. 5346 – Securing our Agriculture and Food Act, as amended;
- House Amendment to S. 2754 – To designate the Federal building and United States courthouse located at 300 Fannin Street in Shreveport, Louisiana, as the “Tom Stagg Federal Building and United States Courthouse”, as amended;
- H.R. 5873 – To designate the Federal building and United States courthouse located at 511 East San Antonio Avenue in El Paso, Texas, as the “R.E. Thomason Federal Building and United States Courthouse”;
- H.R. 5978 – Coast Guard and Maritime Transportation Amendments Act of 2016, as amended;
- H.R. 5162 – Vet Connect Act of 2016;
- H.R. 5392 – No Veterans Crisis Line Call Should Go Unanswered Act;
- H.R. 5509 – To name the Department of Veterans Affairs temporary lodging facility in Indianapolis, Indiana, as the “Dr. Otis Bowen Veteran House”; and
- H.R. 3216 – VET Act
On Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday September 27-29, the House will meet at 10:00am for morning hour and at 12:00pm for legislative business. On Friday, September 30, the House will meet at 9:00am for legislative business, with last votes expected by 3:00pm. The following legislation will be considered under suspension of the rules:
- S. 1698 – Treatment of Certain Payments in Eugenics Compensation Act;
- H.R. 5065 – Bottles and Breastfeeding Equipment Screening Act, as amended; and
- H.R. 5391 – Gains in Global Nuclear Detection Architecture Act, as amended
The House will also consider:
- H.R. 5303 – Water Resources Development Act of 2016, Rules Committee Print (Subject to a Rule); and
- Legislation Related to Continuing FY16 Appropriations
The House may also consider additional legislative items.