This Week’s Hearings:
- Tuesday, June 11: The Senate Homeland Security and Government Affairs Committee will hold a hearing titled “Reducing Duplication and Improving Outcomes in Federal Information Technology.”
- Wednesday, June 12: The Senate Indian Affairs Committee will hold a confirmation hearing on the nomination of Yvette Roubideaux to be the Health and Human Services (HHS) Indian Health Service Director.
- Wednesday, June 12: The House Energy and Commerce Committee Subcommittee on Health will hold a hearing titled “The Need for Medicaid Reform: A State Perspective.”
Executive Branch Activity
June 30 marks the deadline for individual eligible professionals and group practices participating in the Group Practice Reporting Option (GPRO) for the Electronic Prescribing (eRx) Incentive Program. The 2013 eRx Incentive Program’s six-month reporting period is the final reporting period available in order to avoid the 2014 eRx payment adjustment (98 percent of Medicare Part B PFS).
Action Plan to Prevent Health Care-Associated Infections
The Federal Steering Committee for the Prevention of Health Care-Associated Infections with the HHS Office for Disease Prevention and Health Promotion (ODPHP) released the National Action Plan to Prevent Health Care-Associated Infections: Road Map to Elimination (HAI Action Plan). The Action Plan updates and expands the initial version issued in 2009, and includes new sections specific to infection reduction in ambulatory surgical centers, end-stage renal disease facilities, and long-term care facilities, as well as a section on increasing influenza vaccination of health care personnel.
Regulations Under Review
The following regulations are currently under review at Office of Management and Budget (OMB):
- 340B Orphan Drug Exclusion Final Rule;
- Infant Formula Final Rule: Current Good Manufacturing Practices, Quality Control Procedures, Notification Requirements, Records and Reports, and Quality Factors;
- Proposed Revisions to Implement Portions of Title XI of the Medicare Prescription Drug, Improvement and Modernization Act of 2003 and Other Changes Proposed Rule;
- Requirements for Long-Term Care Facilities: Hospice Services Final Rule;
- Home Health Prospective Payment System Rate for FY 2014 Proposed Rule;
- Inpatient Psychiatric Facility Prospective Payment System: Update for FY 2014 Notice;
- Exchange Functions: Eligibility for Exemptions, Miscellaneous Minimum Essential Coverage Provisions Final Rule;
- Conditions of Participation for Community Mental Health Centers Final Rule;
- Medicaid, Exchanges, and Children’s Health Insurance Programs: Eligibility, Appeals and Other Provisions Under the Affordable Care Act Final Rule; and
- Exchanges: Additional Program Implementation Proposed Rule.