Defense Department’s FY 2016 Budget
This week, Congress will hold the following hearings to examine the Department of Defense’s FY 2016 budget request:
- Wednesday, February 25: The House Armed Services Committee will hold a hearing on the Department of the Navy’s FY 2016 Budget request for seapower and projection forces.
- Thursday, February 26: The House Armed Services Committee will hold a hearing on the FY 2016 Budget request for strategic forces.
- Friday, February 27: The House Appropriations Defense Subcommittee will hold a hearing on the FY 2016 Budget for the Air Force.
Secretary of Defense Travels to Afghanistan
In his first trip abroad as the new Secretary of Defense, Ashton Carter met Saturday with U.S. troops in Afghanistan and with Afghan President Ashraf Ghani. The Secretary was there to discuss the situation on the ground and possible changes to the plan of withdrawing U.S. troops from Afghanistan.
On Sunday from Kabul, Secretary Carter spoke with United Kingdom Defense Minister Michael Fallon, who is scheduled to travel to Washington in early March. The two discussed the security situation in Ukraine, NATO revitalization efforts and innovation in developing modern military capabilities. Secretary Carter also thanked the United Kingdom for its contributions to global security efforts, including in Afghanistan and in the campaign against ISIL.
Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Gen. Martin Dempsey will meet today with the Australian chief of the Defense Force, Air Chief Marshal Mark Binskin. Both are expected to discuss the U.S. military rebalance to the Pacific, current global challenges, interoperability, and strengthening cooperation.
Other Congressional Hearings This Week:
- Wednesday, February 25: The House Armed Services Committee will hold a hearing to examine how the Pentagon is responding to emerging security challenges in Europe. NATO Supreme Allied Commander Gen. Philip Breedlove is scheduled to testify.
- Wednesday, February 25: The Senate Armed Services Personnel Subcommittee will hold a hearing to examine the Military Compensation and Retirement Modernization Commission’s healthcare recommendations.
- Wednesday, February 25: The Senate Armed Services Committee Strategic Forces Subcommittee will hold a hearing to examine nuclear regional dynamics.
- Wednesday, February 25: The House Armed Services Committee will hold a hearing on information technology investments and programs and supporting current operations and planning for the future threat environment.
- Thursday, February 26: The House Armed Services Committee will hold a hearing on the President’s proposed Authorization for the Use of Military Force (AUMF) against ISIL.