Senate Legislative Activity
The Senate will convene today, Monday, July 21, at 2:00 pm. After any leader remarks, the Senate will be in a period of morning business until 5:30 pm, with senators allowed to speak for up to 10 minutes each.
At 5:30 pm, the Senate will proceed to Executive Session to vote on confirmation of the following nominations:
- Executive Calendar #849—Julie Carnes to be United States Circuit Judge for the Eleventh Circuit (roll call vote);
- Executive Calendar #789—Michael Anderson Lawson for the rank of Ambassador during his tenure of service as Representative of the United States on the Council of the International Civil Aviation Organization (voice vote); and
- Executive Calendar #537—Eunice Reddick to be Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of the United States to the Republic of Niger (voice vote).
House Legislative Activity
Today, the House will not be in session.
Tomorrow, Tuesday, July 22, the House will meet at 12:00 pm for morning hour and 2:00 pm for legislative business, with votes being postponed until 6:30 pm. The following legislation is to be considered under suspension of the rules:
- H.R. 4572 – STELA Reauthorization Act, as amended;
- H.R. 4450 – Travel Promotion, Enhancement, and Modernization Act of 2014 Act, as amended;
- H.R. 4812 – The Honor Flight Act, as amended;
- H.R. 4802 – Gerardo Hernandez Airport Security Act of 2014;
- H.R. 4803 – The TSA Office of Inspection Accountability Act of 2014;
- H.R. 1022 – Securing Energy Critical Elements and American Jobs Act of 2014, as amended;
- H.R. 5035 – To reauthorize the National Institute of Standards and Technology, and for other purposes;
- H.R. 5120 – The Department of Energy Laboratory Modernization and Technology Transfer Act of 2014, as amended;
- H.R. 2430 – Hinchliffe Stadium Heritage Act;
- H.R. 3802 – To extend the legislative authority of the Adams Memorial Foundation to establish a commemorative work in honor of former President John Adams and his legacy, and for other purposes;
- H.R. 3716 – Pyramid Lake Paiute Tribe – Fish Springs Ranch Settlement Act;
- H.R. 4508 – To amend the East Bench Irrigation District Water Contract Extension Act to permit the Secretary of the Interior to extend the contract for certain water services;
- H.R. 4562 – To authorize early repayment of obligations to the Bureau of Reclamation within the Northport Irrigation District in the State of Nebraska; and
- H.R. 4411 – Hezbollah International Financing Prevention Act of 2014, as amended.
On Wednesday, July 23, and Thursday, July 24, the House will meet at 10:00 am for morning hour and 12:00 pm for legislative business. On Friday, the House will meet at 9:00 am for legislative business, with last votes expected to later than 3:00 pm.
The following legislation is to be considered under suspension of the rules for the balance of the week:
- H.R. 4983 – Strengthening Transparency in Higher Education Act, as amended;
- H.R. 5134 – NACIQI and Advisory Committee for Student Financial Assistance;
- H.R. 5111 – To improve the response to victims of child sex trafficking;
- H.R. 5081 – Strengthening Child Welfare Response to Trafficking Act of 2014;
- H.R. 5076 – Enhancing Services for Runaway and Homeless Victims of Youth Trafficking Act of 2014;
- H.R. 4980 – The Preventing Sex Trafficking and Strengthening Families Act;
- H.R. 5135 – The Human Trafficking Prevention, Intervention, and Recovery Act of 2014;
- H.R. 5116 – To direct the Secretary of Homeland Security to train Department of Homeland Security personnel how to effectively deter, detect, disrupt, and prevent human trafficking during the course of their primary roles and responsibilities, and for other purposes;
- H.R. 4449 – To amend the Trafficking Victims Protection Act of 2000 to expand the training for Federal Government personnel related to trafficking in persons, and for other purposes; and
- H.R. 2283 – Human Trafficking Prioritization Act, as amended.
The following legislation is also on the House calendar for the balance of the week:
- H.R. 3136 – Advancing Competency-Based Education Demonstration Project Act of 2013, Rules Committee Print (Subject to a Rule);
- H.R. 4984 – Empowering Students Through Enhanced Counseling Act, Rules Committee Print (Subject to a Rule);
- H.R. 4935 – Child Tax Credit Improvement Act of 2014, Rules Committee Print (Subject to a Rule);
- H.R. 3393 –Student and Family Tax Simplification Act (Subject to a Rule); and
- Possible Consideration of H. Con. Res. 105 – Directing the President, pursuant to section 5(c) of the War Powers Resolution, to remove United States Armed Forces, other than Armed Forces required to protect United States diplomatic facilities and personnel, from Iraq.