Senate Legislative Activity
The Senate will convene today, Monday, June 9, at 2:00 pm. After any leader remarks, the Senate will be in a period of morning business until 5:30 pm, with senators allowed to speak for up to 10 minutes each.
At 5:30 pm, the Senate will proceed to Executive Session for a series of three roll call votes:
- Motion to invoke cloture on Executive Calendar #734 – the nomination of M. Hannah Lauck to be United States District Judge for the Eastern District of Virginia;
- Motion to invoke cloture on Executive Calendar #736 – the nomination of Leo Sorokin to be United States District Judge for the District of Massachusetts; and
- Motion to invoke cloture on Executive Calendar #739 – the nomination of Richard Franklin Boulware II to be United States District Judge for the District of Nevada.
If cloture is invoked on any of these nominations, tomorrow, Tuesday, at 10:00 am, all post-cloture time will be considered expired, and the Senate will vote on confirmation of the nominations listed above.
House Legislative Activity
Today, the House will meet at 12:00 pm for morning hour and 2:00 pm for legislative business, with votes being postponed until 6:30 pm. Additionally, a second series of votes is possible later tonight. The following legislation is to be considered under suspension of the rules:
- H.R. 2072 – Demanding Accountability for Veterans Act, as amended;
- H. Res. 600 – Urging the Government of Afghanistan, following a successful first round of the presidential election on April 5, 2014, to pursue a transparent, credible, and inclusive run-off presidential election on June 14, 2014, while ensuring the safety of voters, candidates, poll workers, and election observers, as amended;
- H.R. 4412 – The National Aeronautics and Space Administration Authorization Act of 2014, as amended;
- S. 1254 – Harmful Algal Bloom and Hypoxia Research and Control Amendments Act of 2013;
- H. Con. Res. 100 – Authorizing the use of the rotunda of the Capitol for a ceremony to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the enactment of the Civil Rights Act;
- S. Con. Res. 36 – A concurrent resolution permitting the use of the rotunda of the Capitol for a ceremony to award the Congressional Gold Medal to the next of kin or personal representative of Raoul Wallenberg;
- H.R. 3211 – Mortgage Choice Act;
- H.R. 1679 – To amend the Expedited Funds Availability Act to clarify the application of that Act to American Samoa, as amended; and
- H.R. 4228 – DHS Acquisition Accountability and Efficiency Act, as amended.
Also on the House schedule for today is H.R. 4745 – Transportation, Housing, and Urban Development, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2015 (Open Rule).
On Tuesday, June 10, and Wednesday, June 11, the House will meet at 10:00 am for morning hour and 12:00 pm for legislative business. On Thursday, the House will meet at 9:00 am for legislative business, with last votes expected no later than 3:00 pm. The following legislation is to be considered under suspension of the rules for the balance of the week:
- H.R. ___ – The Veterans Access to Care Act; and
- H. Res. 608 – Condemning the senseless rampage and mass shooting that took place in Isla Vista, California, on Friday May 23, 2014, as amended.
The following legislation is also on the House calendar for the balance of the week.
- H.R. 4745 – Transportation, Housing, and Urban Development, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2015 (Open Rule);
- H.R. 4800 – Agriculture, Rural Development, Food and Drug Administration, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2015 (Subject to a Rule);
- H.R. 4453 – Permanent S Corporation Built-in Gains Recognition Period Act of 2014, Rules Committee Print (Subject to a Rule); and
- H.R. 4457 – America’s Small Business Tax Relief Act of 2014 (Subject to a Rule).
No votes are expected on Friday, June 13, as the House is scheduled to be in recess.