FY 2015 Appropriations Action
The House is scheduled to consider its fourth and fifth FY 2015 spending bills this week – Transportation-Housing (H.R. 4745/H. Rept. 113-464) and Agriculture (H.R. 4800/H. Rept. 113-468) – while the Appropriations Committee continues its efforts to approve all FY 2015 spending bills by the July 4 recess.
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) intends to dedicate the weeks of June 16 and June 23 for floor consideration of appropriations bills. While Appropriations Chairwoman Barbara Mikulski (D-MD) said she will defer to Majority Leader Reid as to the order in which bills are brought to the floor, she also expressed her preference for bringing the bills up in clusters or “minibuses” in order to expedite the floor process. The Senate Appropriations Committee has approved four FY 2015 spending bills: Agriculture; Commerce, Justice, and Science; Military Construction and Veterans Affairs; and Transportation and Housing. It is likely the committee will also add Labor, Health and Human Services, and Education to this list before or shortly after June 16. Republicans indicate the fate of spending bills on the Senate floor, and subsequently in conference, could depend on whether Majority Leader Reid allows amendment votes during floor consideration.
This week’s hearings
Senate Appropriations Committee Hearings
- Tuesday, June 10: The Labor, Health and Human Services, Education Subcommittee will mark up its FY 2015 appropriations bill.
- Wednesday, June 11: The Defense Subcommittee will hold a hearing on the FY 2015 budget request for the Missile Defense Agency.
Senate Budget Committee Hearings
- Wednesday, June 11: The Committee will hold a hearing on the confirmation of Housing and Urban Development Secretary Shaun Donovan as the Director of the Office of Management and Budget.
House Appropriations Committee Hearings
- Tuesday, June 10: The Energy and Water Subcommittee will mark up its FY 2015 appropriations bill.
- Tuesday, June 10: Full committee markup of the FY 2015 Defense Appropriations bill.
- Wednesday, June 11: Full committee markup of the FY 2015 Homeland Security Appropriations bill.
House Budget Committee Hearings
- Tuesday, June 10: Full committee hearing: “A Progress Report on the War on Poverty: Reforming Federal Aid.”