Child Care Development Block Grant Reauthorization
While Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) previously filed cloture on the motion to proceed to legislation (S. 1086) to reauthorize the Child Care Development Block Grant, which expired in 1996, a vote on the legislation has been delayed again due to consideration of executive nominations and military sexual assault bills. Debate on the bill, which would renew the provision of federal funding for state support of child care services for low-income families and institute educational, health and safety standards for facilities, is now expected Tuesday or Wednesday.
Upcoming Hearings & Events:
- Monday, March 10: The Congressional E-Learning Caucus will hold an event titled “Open Educational Resources: Reducing Costs to Students and Advancing the Workforce Through Improved Student Outcomes.”
- Monday, March 10: The Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee has rescheduled a field hearing titled “Doing What’s Right: Preparing Iowa’s Children for Success in School and Beyond.”
- Wednesday, March 12: The House Education and the Workforce Committee’s Subcommittee on Higher Education and Workforce Training will hold a hearing titled “Examining the Mismanagement of the Student Loan Rehabilitation Process.”
- Wednesday, March 12: The House Education and the Workforce Committee has rescheduled a hearing titled “Raising the Bar: The Role of Charter Schools in K-12 Education.”
- Thursday, March 13: The Labor, Health and Human Services, Education, and Related Agencies Subcommittee of the House Appropriations Committee will hold an oversight hearing on the future of biomedical research.
- Tuesday, March 18: The House Education and the Workforce Committee will hold a field hearing on the impact of education and skills training on economic development titled “How Career and Technical Education Can Strengthen the Workforce.” It is the first of two over the scheduled recess but should be webcast on the committee’s website.
- Thursday, March 20: The House Education and the Workforce Committee will hold a second field hearing on the impact of education and skills training on economic development titled “Supporting a 21st Century Workforce.”