Legislative Branch Activity
This week, the Senate is expected to focus on legislative measures that address sexual assault in the military and blocking a cut to veterans’ pensions.
After more than two decades in the House of Representatives, House Armed Services Committee Member Robert Andrews (D-New Jersey) announced on Tuesday that he will resign at the end of his term this year. On Thursday, 6 February, the Senate confirmed (96-0) Sen. Max Baucus (D-Montana) to be the next U.S. Ambassador to China. The next day, Montana Governor Steve Bullock appointed Democratic Lieutenant Governor John Walsh to fill the remainder of Ambassador Baucus’ term. Walsh will be sworn-in next Tuesday (11 February) in Washington.
This Week’s Hearings:
- Tuesday, February 11: The Senate Armed Services Committee will hold a confirmation hearing for: Robert Work to be Deputy Secretary of Defense and Michael McCord to be Under Secretary of Defense (Comptroller).
- Tuesday, February 11: The House Armed Services Committee will hold a hearing titled, “United States Security Policy and Defense Posture in the Middle East.”
- Tuesday, February 11: The House Oversight & Government Reform Committee will hold a hearing titled, “DC Navy Yard Shooting: Fixing the Security Clearance Process.”
- Wednesday, February 12: The House Armed Services Committee will hold a hearing titled, “Overcoming Obstacles in Acquisition Reform.”
- Thursday, February 13: The Senate Armed Services Committee will hold a hearing titled, “Current and Future Worldwide Threats.” A portion of the hearing may be closed to the public.