Environmental Protection Agency and Local Governments
The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)’s Local Government Advisory Committee will meet November 26 via teleconference to discuss the Draft 2014–2018 EPA Strategic Plan concerning air quality issues, brownfield clean ups, water quality issues, environmental justice and related environmental issues of significance to local governments. While the meeting is open to participation from the public, the draft plan will not be available until mid-November. Information on registering for the meeting can be obtained here.
U.S. Department of Energy Launches Alternative Fueling Station Locator App
The U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) has announced the availability of an app that contains more than 15,000 alternative fueling stations across the United States. The app finds alternative fueling stations that offer electricity, biodiesel (B20), natural gas (compressed and liquefied), ethanol (E85), hydrogen, and propane. The app is configured to show the closest station to the driver’s current location.
Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy Grants
DOE’s Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy has announced new topics for grants under its Small Business Innovation Research and Technology Transfer program for small businesses. New topics include:
- Integrating Energy Efficient Solid-state Lighting with Advanced Sensors and Controls
- Prototype Fuel Cell-Battery Electric Hybrid Truck for Waste Transportation
- Software Tools for Photovoltaic Soft Cost Reductions and Grid Integration
- U.S. Offshore Wind Personnel and Equipment Transfer Systems
- Novel Membranes and Non-Platinum Group Metal Catalysts for Direct Methanol Fuel Cells.
Businesses must file a letter of intent by December 16.
This Week’s Hearings:
- Wednesday, November 13: The House Energy and Commerce Committee, Subcommittee on Environment and the Economy, will hold a hearing to consider S. 1009, The Chemical Safety Improvement Act.
- Thursday, November 14: The Senate Committee on Energy and Natural Resources will hold a full committee hearing to consider the following pending nominations:
- Mr. Steven P. Croley to be the General Counsel of the Department of Energy
- Mr. Christopher A. Smith to be an Assistant Secretary of Energy (for Fossil Energy)
- Ms. Esther P. Kia’aina to be an Assistant Secretary of the Interior (for Insular Areas)
- Thursday, November 14: The Senate Commerce, Science and Transportation Committee, Subcommittee on Oceans, Atmosphere, Fisheries and Coast Guard, will hold a hearing to consider Southeast regional perspectives on the Magnuson-Stevens Act reauthorization.