The Senate will convene today, Monday, October 28, at 2:00 pm. After any leader remarks, the Senate will be in a period of morning business until 4:30 pm, with senators allowed to speak for up to 10 minutes each.
After morning business, the Senate will proceed to Executive Session to consider Executive Calendar #344 – the nomination of Richard F. Griffin, Jr. to be General Counsel of the National Labor Relations Board for a four-year term. There will be up to one hour of debate equally divided and controlled, and upon the use of time or yielding back at about 5:30 pm, there will be a roll call vote on the motion to invoke cloture on the nomination.
The House will meet today, Monday, October 28, at 12:00 pm for morning hour and 2:00 pm for legislative business, with votes being postponed until 6:30 pm. Legislation to be considered under suspension of the rules is as follows:
- H.R. 3304 – To authorize and request the President to award the Medal of Honor to Bennie G. Adkins and Donald P. Sloat of the United States Army for acts of valor during the Vietnam Conflict and to authorize the award of the Medal of Honor to certain other veterans who were previously recommended for award of the Medal of Honor;
- H.R. 1742 – Vulnerable Veterans Housing Reform Act of 2013;
- H.R. 2189 – To establish a commission or task force to evaluate the backlog of disability claims of the Department of Veterans Affairs;
- H.R. 2481 – Veterans Economic Opportunity Act of 2013;
- H.R. 1405 – To amend title 38, United States Code, to require the Secretary of Veterans Affairs to include an appeals form in any notice of decision issued for the denial of a benefit sought; and
- H.R. 2011 – Veterans’ Advisory Committee on Education Improvement Act.
Tomorrow, Tuesday, October 29, the House will meet at 10:00 am for morning hour and 12:00 pm for legislative business. Legislation to be considered under suspension of the rules is as follows:
- H.R. 2640 – Central Oregon Jobs and Water Security Act;
- H.R. 623 – Alaska Native Tribal Health Consortium Land Transfer Act;
- H.R. 330 – Distinguished Flying Cross National Memorial Act; and
- H.R. 2337 – Lake Hill Administrative Site Affordable Housing Act.
Other legislation on the House calendar for Tuesday is as follows:
- H.R. 2374 – Retail Investor Protection Act, Rules Committee Print (Subject to a Rule); and
- H. J. Res. __ – Relating to the disapproval of the President’s exercise of authority to suspend the debt limit, as submitted under section 1002(b) of the Continuing Appropriations Act, 2014 on October 17, 2013.
On Wednesday, October 30, the House will meet at 10:00 am for morning hour and 12:00 pm for legislative business. Legislation on the House calendar for Wednesday is as follows:
- H.R. 992 – Swaps Regulatory Improvement Act, Rules Committee Print (Subject to a Rule).
No votes are expected in the House on Thursday, October 31, or Friday, November 1.